Thursday, December 8, 2011

Count Your Many Blessings

College sucks. It's hard. I mean, I love it and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world at this point, but it's dang tough.  And sometimes I have no idea how I'm getting through these challenges - college and others that have decided to come into my life at this time.  But then I look around me.  And I see the wonderful girls I live with and realize how blessed I am and how silly I was to doubt how I could face my trials head on.  So, here's a tribute to one of the best of the best, my lovely roommate Kaley Thacker.  She's among my very best of friends in this world.  I've grown so much in college and made some of the best memories of my life, many thanks to this chica. Here are a few... maybe even with pictures to commemorate them.

 So last year after my first semester in freshman housing, I decided to move onto bigger and better things -- apartments.  What do I find waiting for me at my first apartment but this crazy girl for my roommate!  And of course, as the first weekend of the semester, we have to do some fun winter activity.  A snowball fight, cocoa party, or snuggle fest wouldn't suffice.  Rather, we picked up some cardboard boxes and plastic tables and went sledding. It only makes sense.

 After any long day, I always know I can go home and have a snuggle buddy waiting for me.  My day just isn't complete if I'm not woken in the middle of the night to Kaley crawling in my bed to curl up under my blankets and talk about our days.  Of course, at that time of the day, we don't get much talking done before we're out...

 My first time crowdsurfing... spent with this girl.  And who gave me the new bangs style of the day? This girl.  Who unintentionally wears matching outfits with me at least once a week? This girl.  I think that says something about the way we think.

 There is probably about 20 pictures just like this from this season alone.  Just about every social activity I go to, this girl is by my side.  She could ditch us and hang out with just her boy, but she still spends time with all of us crazy kids.  Such an example to me to never forget who I am no matter where I am in life or who I'm around.

 
Whether it's playing in massive fields of blue foam, being late to class because you were riding a ferris wheel on the middle of campus, or shopping for hours to find some ballin Halloween costumes, Kay is always up for my crazy ideas and bringing crazy ideas of her own to the plate.  Sure, people look at us funny sometimes and it's rare that they actually have any idea why we're laughing.  But in our heads, we're having the time of our lives and living without a single regret. Ray and Kay. Better than best friends. Roommate.  Never do we leave the door without being reminded to "remember who we are" and "make good choices." Our facebook fights ("you don't have to remind me of..." for about 40 comments) probably have all of our friends judging us.  Our wardrobes are each others.  Our worries are each others.  Our home is each others.  Love you, rooms!

1 comment:

  1. awe ray :) you and the other girls we live with are the kind of roomates people hope they will be lucky enough to get in college. thank you so much for being you! i love every minute we spend together and am thankful for you every single day. better than best best friends... roomates.

    ReplyDelete